Holidays and special occasions are triggers for many people to fall out of their routine, make poor food choices and consume a LOT more calories than they should. I’m sure you can relate to having over indulged from a fun holiday weekend filled with back to back parties… and while they were fun, they left you feeling bloated, inflamed, tired and regretful of your food and beverage decisions. So this holiday, lets change it up – take a healthy dish with you t the party, plan your meals for the weekend before you go, and mentally prepare to remain in your skinny jeans (or shorts, tank, swim suit whatever it is!) These recipes are festive, tasty and will help you stay on track towards your goals and help you avoid a ‘food hangover’ or ‘sugar crash.’
Food hangover = feeling bloated, tired, fatigued after indulging in greasy, fat filled food. Can cause stomach aches, muscle/joint pain, constipation, gas, stuffy nose, brain fog, etc.
Sugar crash = consuming sugary foods that give you a rush and then typically results in low energy, the need for coffee, sugar cravings and sometimes passing out…
BerryFestive Ice Cubes
Freeze Blueberries, Strawberries, and/or Raspberries in an ice cube tray.
Serve with sparkling water, Berry La Croix or in a mixed beverage of choice 🙂
- 3/4 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup coconut water ice cubes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup coconut water ice cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 fresh banana
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- 3 Tbsp fine flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup coconut water ice cubes
- 5 strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- pinches of coconut flakes
Directions: First chill your serving glasses in the freezer. Cold glasses will help the layers stay separated better. First blend up the red layer. Add all the ingredients except fresh strawberries and blend. Add in fresh strawberries and blend lightly. Place the red smoothie in the freezer until needed.
Next, blend up all the blue ingredients. Again, leaving the fresh fruit aside and blending in last. Pour it into a separate container and place in freezer.
Next, wash out your blender very well to before blending your white layer. Add all the white layer ingredients and blend until frothy and smooth. For a fluffier, icier white layer add more ice.
Create: Remove the red and blue layers from the freezer, as well as your frosted glasses and begin assembling the smoothies. Layer red smoothie until ⅓ cup is full and then place one thinly sliced strawberry round. Next, pour 1/3 full amount of blue smoothie mix in each glass and add 4-5 fresh blueberries on top of the blue layer. Next, spoon the white layer smoothie into the glass until it is filled to the brim.
Garnish: Place a sprinkling of coconut, one blueberry and one strawberry slice in each glass. Serve with clear straws and enjoy!
Tips:*The raspberry smoothie should blend up the thickest, aka heaviest. That is why it goes on the bottom. The white layer is the fluffiest and the blue is in between. **If you don’t have coconut water ice cubes, use regular ice cubes, but you may want to add an additional drop of agave in each blend. ***You can add some unsweetened coconut milk yogurt to either the raspberry or white layer-a nice healthy addition. ****To get a bolder red or blue color, use more of the fresh strawberries and blueberries. The tiny specks of fresh fruit bring out true red and blue colors!
All American Fruit Tray
Quantity depends upon how big you want to make your tray 🙂 Super simple, can also serve with a side of Coconut Cool Whip or Melted Dairy Free Chocolate for dipping (I use Daiya).
Goat Cheese Guacamole
- 4-5 ripe avocados, mashed
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Cayenne, Cumin, Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Optional: pineapple, jalapeno, strawberry, and for a kick – add in habanero!
Layer the top with crumbled goat cheese and make a cool design with Sriracha or Tomatoes. Serve with Blue Corn Tortilla chips for a red, white and blue effect!
Another side option: Make hard boiled eggs and fill with guacamole. Serve with a strawberry or blueberry on top.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup diced jicama
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper, stemmed and seeded
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Salt, to taste
- Tortilla chips, for serving
In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, strawberries, jicama, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, and lime juice. Stir until well combined. Season with salt, to taste. Serve with tortilla chips at room temperature or chilled.
Note-this salsa is also great with grilled fish or chicken. It is best eaten the day it is made.
Simple “Rustic Salsa”
Fresh tomatoes and slices of spring onion to make a rustic salsa – as much as you need. I used about 2 cups of quartered rosa / cherry tomatoes and sliced red spring onions / scallions. I tossed these together with a bit of olive oil, chopped cilantro lots of salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice on top.
Grilled Summer Veggie Salad
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3 ears corn (could omit this)
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 small or one medium summer squash
- 1 whole red onion
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 red pepper
- ¼ cup herb infused oil, for grilling
- 2 pounds mixed grape, cherry and mini sunglow tomatoes (or any of your own favorite varieties)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into a thin chiffonade
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup herb infused oil
- Zest of half a lemon
- Juice from one lemon (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Few grinds black pepper
Red, White, and Blueberry Turkey Burger Sliders
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- Slider buns or GF bread …or even better, lettuce wraps!Add all ingredients in a bowl and fold until well combined. Form six to eight small patties. Place on a low-to-medium heat grill for about 5 minutes, then turn and cook about 3-5 more minutes. Place each patty on a slider bun and top with the blueberry balsamic reduction*. Serve and enjoy!
Blueberry Balsamic Reduction
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 packages Truvia or steviaMuddle the blueberries over medium heat in a sauce pan until completely broken down and the juices start to bubble. Add the balsamic vinegar and Truvia. Watch closely to prevent burning and keep stirring until it thickens
Portobella Mushroom ‘Burger’
Turkey Burger (could sub any ‘burger patty’ such as black bean/vegetarian)
- 3 lbs of ground turkey or chicken
- 3 eggs;
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6-8 large Portabello mushrooms;
- A few tablespoons of olive oil (the amount will depend on how large your mushrooms are, so start with a little and add more as needed);
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Make the burgers
- Place the ground turkey/chicken in a large bowl and add the eggs. Combine until the eggs are evenly mixed through.
- Mix in the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Form 6 to 8 patties that are slightly smaller than the mushroom caps so they can fit on top once cooked.
- Place on a preheated grill and cook each side for about 5-7 minutes (the time it takes will depend on the temperature of your grill. I cooked them at medium-low for approximately this time).
Preparation for the portobello mushrooms
- Rinse the mushrooms and pat them dry.
- Remove the mushroom stems. The reason for this is because you want your mushroom cap to take the form of the hamburger bun. Do not discard, they can be great for many other recipes, or you can grill them along with the caps.
- Coat the caps in olive oil and then season with salt and pepper. Do not let the oil penetrate for long, as you will notice the mushrooms will start to get soggy.
- Place on the preheated grill and cook on each side for about 5-7 minutes. Now all there is left to do is stack your patty on top of your mushroom and add any toppings you desire. There you have it! Enjoy!
BBQ Chicken with Blueberry and Feta Salad
- 1-1.5 Broccoli Slaw
- 6 oz Grilled Chicken
- 2-3 Tbsp Sugar Free BBQ Sauce*
- 1 handful Blueberries
- ¼ red onion, sliced or diced
- 2-3 Tbsp crumbled feta (or goat cheese)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Optional: 1 slice bacon chopped
Grill chicken, chop and toss with BBQ sauce. Layer ingredients with broccoli slaw and serve with dressing of choice or additional BBQ sauce.
Crockpot pulled BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup water or chicken stock
- 1 bottle Sugar Free BBQ sauce*
- 1 red onion (can add in crockpot or caramelize in pan)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Add ingredients to crockpot and cook on high 34 hours or low 5-6 hours, remove and shred. Place chicken back in crockpot and coat with the rest of the yummy sauce. Add additional BBQ sauce if needed.
Serve in lettuce wrap with sliced onion (I like to caramelize the onion slices in a pan with tiny bit of oil and bbq sauce), sliced red cabbage, broccoli slaw, or peppers such as giardiniera, sweet or banana peppers.
Note: you could also do this with pork in the crockpot – your cooking time would vary depending on the size of your roast. If serving with pork, I would use green onion and/or slaw to top.
Strawberries, Blueberries, Coconut Whipped Cream
OR Sugar Free Strawberry Jello, Coconut Whipped Cream and Blueberries (as pictured)
- Coconut water or crystal light or another water enhancer
Pour in popsicle molds, freeze and enjoy. *Skinny girl has water enhancers with stevia instead of aspartame!
I hope you enjoy and have a safe and happy holiday!