Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Pesto
Spiralized Zucchini pasta (Zoodles) tossed in a creamy avocado pesto sauce. A quick and tasty low-carb healthier alternative to traditional pasta!
I am not a big pasta fan but sometimes I need to switch it up from lettuce wraps and salad. I used fresh basil, but you could also use parsley, cilantro or mint or a combo of herbs also works very well! The mint brings a different flavor so taste test first 😉
I like to pair this with a delicious chuck roast and banana peppers and/or giardiniera! You could also serve with sauteed garlic shrimp as a traditional pasta.
- 3-4 large or 5-6 small zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
For the avocado sauce:
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, and peeled
- large handful of cilantro (about ? cup loosely packed)
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- water, as needed
- Slice the ends of your zucchini off. Use a spiralizer to make your zucchini noodles. Heat a large pan to high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to pan then add crushed garlic. Cook garlic for just a few seconds or until it turns golden. Add the noodles, toss to combine with the garlic and cook for just a few seconds then remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- While the zucchini pasta is cooling, Add avocado, herbs (cilantro, parsley, or basil), lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend until mixture is creamy, (optional, add 2-3 tablespoons water or until mixture reaches a creamy, pourable consistency.
- Pour sauce on zucchini noodles. Toss and serve. Garnish with red pepper or additional chopped cilantro. Enjoy warm or at room temp!