My good friend came over a couple months ago and we both made a Mexican style soup, mine was red and hers was white.
They were both delish! But I loved the ‘cream’ base and I’ve been thinking about creating a recipe that would be similar, yet dairy-free and finally got settled into our home so here it is! 🙂 Not only is it super quick to make – it is super tasty and filling!
I top this with cilantro, avocado, sliced jalapeno and crushed tortilla chips (only a couple!) and, of course, a bit of hot sauce!
- 2 pounds Chicken Breast (4-5 breasts)
- 2 cans (15 oz) White Beans (kidney beans, pinto, or cannellini beans) rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4.5 oz) Chopped Green Chiles
- 3 cloves, Garlic
- 1 White or Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp, Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp, Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp, Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, Chopped
- 4 cups, Chicken Broth
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes* add after you shred Chicken and Puree
- Place chicken in the bottom of a 6-quart or larger crock pot or pressure cooker. Top with the chicken broth, white beans, green chiles, garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a plate to shred and set aside.
- With an immersion blender, puree a portion of the chili to thicken it, leaving some of the beans whole. (You can also transfer a few ladlefuls of the chili to a food processor and roughly blend, then stir the blended portion back into the chili.) Stir in the shredded chicken and diced tomatoes.
- Portion into bowls and top with cilantro, fresh lime juice. Add any other desired toppings and enjoy.