This is one of my favorite breakfast to food prep as it is super convenient to have on hand throughout the week. Just bake, divide into containers (portions based upon what you need for breakfast) and heat up throughout the week.
I keep this for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, cubed (or 1 1/2 large sweet potato)
- 1/2 lb grass fed ground sausage or 4 diced chicken sausage links
- 6 eggs and 12 egg whites
- 1/3 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Add sweet potatoes to the skillet, drizzle some olive oil, and cover with a lid. Let them cook for about 8 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Transfer them to the large mixing bowl.
- Add sausage to the skillet and cook over medium high heat until browned (about 5 minutes), crumbling the sausage with a spoon as it cooks. Transfer to the large mixing bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs, almond milk, veggies, salt, pepper and thyme. Pour over the sweet potatoes & sausage mixture in the bowl, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture in a baking dish* and bake in a 400 F preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the eggs are cooked through and the potatoes begin to brown. Remove and let the casserole rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onions and/or hot sauce and enjoy!