Costco had butternut squash cubes on sale and that is the BEST (if you’ve ever tried cutting a butternut squash and cubing it – it isn’t very enjoyable :)) So, I thought I would use up a few things I had including some cooked quinoa so Wa-La… this is similar to other recipes but I didn’t use a lot of oil and very little dressing.
Quinoa is one of those hit or miss proteins for me personally, I don’t love it by itself as it is pretty bland – but mixed with other things, specifically this recipe, it is pretty darn good! Quinoa is naturally gluten-free, a complete protein, and is a great source of fiber.
The best part about this recipe is you can the nuts and dried cranberries, omit one, or reduce the amount in the recipe depending on your dietary needs. You only need a little crunch – a little of each goes a long way trust me.
Quinoa Butternut Squash Salad
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups spinach or kale, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- orange zest (optional)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (Walden Farms 0 cal)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and place the cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet. Spray olive oil spray over squash and season with salt and pepper. Roast the butternut squash for about 20-30 minutes until fork tender, flipping the cubes over half way through. Remove from the oven when cooked and set aside.
- While the butternut squash roasts cook the the quinoa by placing 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of vegetable broth in a medium sized sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a low and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, still covered, and let the quinoa sit for 5 minutes. Then fluff the quinoa with a fork and let cool.
- In separate bowl, add chopped spinach, onion, walnuts and dried cranberries.
- Add the quinoa over the spinach mix and top everything off with the roasted butternut squash.
- Add all dressing ingredients and mix well. Drizzle over salad.