Previously I made my staple meatball recipe which was Bison stuffed with Gouda cheese! They are phenomenal and my hubby’s favorite …but, when we switched to avoiding gluten and dairy, I needed to find a replacement.
These meatballs are super simple, yet packed with flavor and they are versatile. I created this recipe using a few ingredients I already had on hand and they turned out quite well! If you have an egg intolerance you can omit the egg, however it does help bind the meatballs together a bit.
These are easy to throw together if you need a quick appetizer, or pair them with your favorite pasta or Spaghetti Squash noodles. See how to prepare and cook Spaghetti Squash here.
Photos who meatballs paired with my homemade marinara sauce.
Gluten free pasta recommendations:
- Explore Asian Organic Black Bean Pasta which I get at Jewel
- Explore Asian Organic Adzuki Bean Pasta
- Gluten Free Pasta, several brands
- Brown Rice Pasta
- Soba Noodles
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup italian panko crumbs (gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons oregano (if you don't like one of these 3, just double up on the herb you like better)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients and mix well (I use my hands as this works best).
- Form meatballs, I made mine medium size which resulted in 20 meatballs
- Two options to cook the meatballs:
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes (this could be longer or shorter depending on the size of the meatballs). Lay parchment paper on cookie sheet, or spray with coconut oil cooking spray (or another healthy cooking spray) and place meatballs on cookie sheet.
- OR you can make 'wet meatballs' by simmering them in marinara sauce for 30-45 minutes.
Nutrition based up on 20 meatballs and no sauce. Depending on the type of marinara you use, nutrition will vary. Be careful when shopping for sauce if you're not making your own as some can be high in calories and/or sugar. I use organic sauce if I am not making my own.
Serving size: 1 meatball Calories: 49 Fat: 3 Carbohydrates: 1 Protein: 5